Wikipedia ~ “Chatsworth, is a large suburb created in the 1960s to house the predominantly South Africa Indian population. The suburb is situated in South Durban basin in South Africa and is roughly bordered by the Umhlatuzana River in the North and Umlaas River in the South.
In the 1940s, The Pegging Acts and the Ghetto Act were passed. These acts gave the government the right to remove and destroy shacks and small self-made shelters, with the putative intention of improving sanitary conditions. This led to the Group Areas Act of June 1950, which designated certain areas for the Whites and other areas for Indians, Coloureds and Africans. Indians were removed from areas such as Mayville, Cato Manor, the Clairwood, Magazine Barracks, Bluff, Riverside, Prospect Hall, Duikerfontein and Sea Cow Lake. The removed populace was moved into primarily the two large Indian suburbs of Phoenix, which is situated North of Durban, and Chatsworth in the South.
During the later 1940s and early 1950s, there were advertisements in the papers of an exclusively Indian suburb, Umhlatuzana. Then in the early 1960s Chatsworth was planned, opening in 1964 and consisting of eleven neighbourhood units. Modern day Chatsworth is spread over seven municipal wards which all fall roughly in the South Central municipal area. Chatsworth was deliberately built to act as buffer between white residential areas and the large African township of Umlazi.”